TheLM2596regulator is monolithic integrated circuit ideally suited for easy and convenient design of a step−down switching regulator (buck converter). It is capable of driving a 3.0 A load with excellent line and load regulation. This device is available in adjustable output version and it is internally compensated to minimize the number of external components to simplify the power supply design.
Since LM2596 converter is a switch−mode power supply, its efficiency is significantly higher in comparison with popular three−terminal linear regulators, especially with higher input voltages.
The LM2596 operates at a switching frequency of 150 kHz thus allowing smaller sized filter components than what would be needed with lower frequency switching regulators. Available in a standard 5−lead TO−220 package with several different lead bend options, and D2PAK surface mount package.
The other features include a guaranteed ±4% tolerance on output voltage within specified input voltages and output load conditions, and ±15% on the oscillator frequency. External shutdown is included, featuring 80 uA (typical) standby current. Self protection features include switch cycle−by−cycle current limit for the output switch, as well as thermal shutdown for complete protection under fault conditions.
- • Adjustable Output Voltage Range 1.23 V−37 V
- • Guaranteed 3.0 A Output Load Current
- • Wide Input Voltage Range up to 40 V
- • 150 kHz Fixed Frequency Internal Oscillator
- • TTL Shutdown Capability
- • Low Power Standby Mode, typ 80 uA
- • Thermal Shutdown and Current Limit Protection
- • Internal Loop Compensation
- • Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL) Equals 1
- • Pb−Free Packages are Available
- • Simple High−Efficiency Step−Down (Buck) Regulator
- • Efficient Pre−Regulator for Linear Regulators
- • On−Card Switching Regulators
- • Positive to Negative Converter (Buck−Boost)
- • Negative Step−Up Converters
- • Power Supply for Battery Chargers