In the context of the Internet of Things era, CMOS image sensor is a very dynamic and growing semiconductor segment. Especially in the fields of automobile, security, industrial control, etc., it has a large room for improvement and can be used in the field of mobile phones, which has become the main driving force for subsequent growth. Global CMOS sensor sales are expected to reach $13.7 billion in 2018, up 10% year-on-year; CAGR for shipments in 2017-2022 is 11.7%. By 2022, global sales of CMOS sensors will reach $19 billion.
Image sensors are the most common and important in today's applications One of the highest sensors. It mainly uses the photosensitive cell array and auxiliary control circuit to obtain the brightness and color signals of the subject scene, and outputs the digitized image information through complex signal processing and image processing technology.
The photosensitive unit in the image sensor generally uses a photodiode to convert the photoelectric signal.The photodiode is capable of generating a current signal after being exposed to light, and the intensity of the current is proportional to the intensity of the illumination.
CMOS sensor sales are expected to reach $13.7 billion this year At the same time, its shipments will continue to maintain an average annual growth rate of more than 10%.
Benefits in-vehicle applications, machine vision, face recognition and security Rapid development of monitoring,As well as the popularity of multi-camera phones, the market for CMOS image sensors continues to expand.
According to ICInsights, 2017 global CMOS image sensor sales are 125 US$100 million, up 19% year-on-year; it is expected to reach US$13.7 billion in 2018, up 10% year-on-year. It is estimated that the CAGR of shipments in 2017-2022 will reach 11.7%, and the CAGR of sales will be 8.8%.
To 2022, global sales of CMOS sensors will reach 19 billion US dollars.
Mobile phone is the largest application market for CMOS sensors, car, security New applications are growing at a high speed.
The market size of CMOS sensors for mobile phones in 2017 accounted for 62% of the overall application market %, reaching 7.75 billion US dollars, it is estimated that the market revenue of mobile phone CMOS sensors in 2022 will reach 8.6 billion US dollars.
In the next few years, cars, security monitoring, medical, toys / Video games and industry will become the main driving force for the rapid development of CMOS sensors.
1) Security surveillance: security monitoring is inseparable from visual information Acquiring, must rely on image sensors, as the size of the entire security monitoring industry continues to expand, it is estimated that by 2020, the market size of CMOS image sensors in this field will reach 912 million US dollars, accounting for 6% of the industry market share.
2) Automotive electronics: It is the fastest growing segment of image sensors. In recent years, CMOS image sensors have been installed in car reversing images and anti-collision systems, and as new cars will be equipped with ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance) System), as well as the development of autonomous driving technology, car manufacturers will import more cameras for their own vehicle products to obtain outside information.
When adding a camera, you need to add a CMOS sensor, so the car application will be the fastest growing direction in the main application market of CMOS image sensors.
According to YOLE's latest forecast, the car image sensor market space will be 2.2 billion from 2016 The US dollar grew to 7.7 billion US dollars in 2022.It is the fastest growing and highest proportion of automotive sensors (including various types of radars, pressure sensors, inertial sensors, etc.).
At the same time, the automotive market will become the second largest mobile phone Large CMOS sensor applications.
3) Medical/scientific research: In the past, medical and scientific research fields mainly used CCD sensors. With the advancement of technology, today's medical and scientific research fields are seeking to replace most of the old products with lower cost and better CMOS sensors. This application area is expected to have a compound annual growth rate of 34% and sales of 8.6 million US dollars in 2020.
4) Industrial system field: With the development of machine vision, more and more industrial production lines will introduce image sensors to improve production efficiency and quality. The compound annual growth rate of this field is expected to be 18%, 2020. Annual sales of $897 million.
In the context of the ever-increasing application scenarios of CMOS sensors and the increasing demand for performance of terminals, CMOS sensors are accelerating technology iterations, and major manufacturers frequently release new "black technologies".
In the two basic needs of imaging quality (especially low-light environment) and imaging speed, the industry has proposed a rich solution:
1) Imaging capabilities in low light conditions are an important capability for mobile phones, cameras and industrial application image sensors, especially when it is required 24 hours a day Operational security and on-board image sensors.
The industry-wide solution is Increase the area of the sensor and the amount of light, and increase the unit pixel area. In addition to this method, there are two methods of using BSI-CMOS (back-illuminated CMOS image sensor) and near-infrared light technology.
2) High-speed sensors for better shooting of moving objects, multi-frame noise reduction, slow motion video capture and Functions such as reducing image distortion are important for mobile phone photography, traffic monitoring, and automotive automatic driving.
When there is a high-speed relative displacement between the camera and the subject ( Such as shooting a golf swing, shooting a light pole on the road in a moving vehicle, etc.)The screen will have problems such as straight lines, blurred edges, and partial exposure errors. This is the jelly effect. The root cause of the jelly effect is that the photosensitive element cannot capture all the pixels quickly. Therefore, high-speed sensors have emerged.
for the jelly effect, the current industry Two solutions are given: one is a three-layer stacked image sensor with DRAM introduced in the consumer electronics field such as mobile phones, and high-speed photography and photographing are realized by directly storing data directly in the DRAM integrated on the sensor.
Another is a global shutter sensor for industrial applications. Compared to the conventional rolling shutter sensor of progressive exposure, the global shutter can simultaneously expose the entire sensor to capture images of undistorted moving objects, which is of great significance in the field of machine vision and security.
In addition to the requirements for image quality and imaging speed, there are Miniaturization required in the medical field (Hoowei's medical endoscope CMOS sensor is only 0.5mm square); high reliability and high sensitivity required in the automotive field; low cost required for a wide range of applications in the Internet of Things field. Under the joint promotion of technology evolution and demand upgrade, CMOS sensors are rapidly evolving.
CMOS sensors are typical for large-scale batches The production of the semiconductor industry, the scale effect is obvious, the need for a large upfront investment to produce results, which also led to the strongest in this industry.
There are dozens of CMOS sensor manufacturers, but according to YOLE statistics In 2016, the top three manufacturers of the industry, Sony, Samsung, and Howe, achieved a market share of 72%, and the market concentration was high. Sony is firmly in the top spot in the CMOS sensor market, followed by Samsung and Howe.
According to YOLE statistics, industry leader Sony accounted for 42% in 2016 The market share of products covers all kinds of consumer electronics to various industry applications, focusing on the high-end market and the strongest technical strength.
Second is Samsung, focusing on the consumer electronics market, mostly self-produced and sold, and closely following Sony in technology, it can already provide the same level of CMOS products as Sony, but Samsung's CMOS is relatively rare in the industry. The three Haowei technology have accumulated a lot in the industry application, especially in the field of automotive CMOS, the market share is higher than Sony.
In the downstream flagship and mainstream products, most of them use the Big Three CMOS sensor solution.
You can see that some of the most popular mobile phones in the market are Sony, Samsung and OV CMOS sensors. Vendors hold the majority of the market share of CMOS sensors in the consumer electronics arena.
In the automotive and security industries, it is generally used in Anson US, OV and Sony products, Samsung's CMOS is generally only found in their own terminal products.
In addition to occupying the mainstream market In addition to the giants, there are two types of players positioned in the high-end, low-end market.However, in terms of market size and downstream customer base, it is not comparable to the mainstream market.
Overall, domestic There are still some gaps between CMOS sensor manufacturers and foreign manufacturers in terms of scale and technology. The products are mainly used in the low-end consumer electronics field. However, some of the leading CMOS sensor manufacturers in China, such as Sibike and Gekewei, rely on their own core technologies to gradually expand their share and penetrate into the mid- to high-end market.