The NCT1008 is a dual−channel digital thermometer and undertemperature/overtemperature alarm, intended for use in PCs and thermal management systems. It is register−compatible with the ADM1032 and ADT7461. A feature of the NCT1008 is series resistance cancellation, where up to 1.5 kΩ (typical) of resistance in series with the temperature monitoring diode can be automatically cancelled from the temperature result, allowing noise filtering. The NCT1008 has a configurable ALERT output and an extended, switchable temperature measurement range.
The NCT1008 can measure the temperature of a remote thermal diode accurate to ±1°C and the ambient temperature accurate to ±3°C. The temperature measurement range defaults to 0°C to +127°C, compatible with the ADM1032, but it can be switched to a wider measurement range of −64°C to +191°C.
The NCT1008 communicates over a 2−wire serial interface, compatible with system management bus (SMBus/I2C) standards. The default SMBus/I2C address of the NCT1008 is 0x4C. An NCT1008D is available with an SMBus/I2C address of 0x4D. This is useful if more than one NCT1008 is used on the same SMBus/I2C.
An ALERT output signals when the on−chip or remote temperature is out of range. The THERM output is a comparator output that allows on/off control of a cooling fan. The ALERT output can be reconfigured as a second THERM output, if required.
• On−Chip and Remote Temperature Sensor
• 0.25°C Resolution/1°C Accuracy on Remote Channel
• 1°C Resolution/1°C Accuracy on Local Channel
• Series Resistance Cancellation Up to 1.5 kΩ
• Extended, Switchable Temperature Measurement Range 0°C to +127°C (Default) or –64°C to +191°C
• Register−Compatible with ADM1032 and ADT7461
• Remote THERM Limit of 108°C
• 2−Wire SMBus/I2C Serial Interface with SMBus Alert Support
• Programmable Over/Undertemperature Limits
• Offset Registers for System Calibration
• Up to Two Overtemperature Fail−Safe THERM Outputs
• Small 8−Lead DFN
• 240 μA Operating Current, 5 μA Standby Current
• Compatible with 1.8 V Logic
• Pb−Free Packages are Available
• Smart Phones
• Desktop and Notebook Computers
• Smart Batteries
• Embedded Systems
ON Semiconductor - ON Semiconductor (Nasdaq: ON) is driving energy efficient innovations, empowering customers to reduce global energy use. The company offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy efficient power and signal management, logic, discrete and custom solutions to help design engineers solve their unique design challenges in automotive, communications, computing, consumer, industrial, LED lighting, medical, military/aerospace and power supply applications. ON Semiconductor operates a responsive, reliable, world-class supply chain and quality program, and a network of manufacturing facilities, sales offices and design centers in key markets throughout North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific regions.