The PCF2113x is a low power CMOS LCD controller and driver, designed to drive a dot matrix LCD display of 2-line by 12 or 1-line by 24 characters with 5 × 8 dot format. All necessary functions for the display are provided in a single chip, including on-chip generation of LCD bias voltages, resulting in a minimum of external components and lower system current consumption. The PCF2113x interfaces to most microcontrollers via a 4 or 8-bit bus or via the 2-wire I2C-bus. The chip contains a character generator and displays alphanumeric and kana (Japanese) characters. The letter ‘x’ in PCF2113x characterizes the built-in character set. Various character sets can be manufactured on request.
• Single-chip LCD controller/driver
• 2-line display of up to 12 characters + 120 icons, or 1-line display of up to 24 characters + 120 icons
• 5 × 7 character format plus cursor; 5 × 8 for kana (Japanese) and user defined symbols
• Icon mode: reduced current consumption while displaying
• Icon blink function
– Configurable 4, 3 or 2 voltage multiplier generating LCD supply voltage, independent of VDD, programmable by instruction (external supply also possible)
– Temperature compensation of on-chip generated VLCD: −0.16 to −0.24 %/K (programmable by
– Generation of intermediate LCD bias voltages
– Oscillator requires no external components (external clock also possible).
• Display data RAM: 80 characters
• Character generator ROM: 240, 5 × 8 characters
• Character generator RAM: 16, 5 × 8 characters; 3 characters used to drive 120 icons, 6 characters used
if icon blink feature is used in application • 4 or 8-bit parallel bus and 2-wire I2C-bus interface
• CMOS compatible
• 18 row and 60 column outputs
• Multiplex rates 1 : 18 (for normal operation), 1 : 9 (for single line operation) and 1 : 2 (for icon only mode)
• Uses common 11 code instruction set (extended)
• Logic supply voltage range VDD1 − VSS1 = 1.8 to 5.5 V (chip may be driven with two battery cells)
• VLCD generator supply voltage range VDD2 − VSS2 = 2.2 to 4.0 V
• Display supply voltage range VLCD − VSS2 = 2.2 to 6.5 V
• Direct mode to save current consumption for icon mode and Mux 1 : 9 (depending on VDD2 value and LCD liquid properties)
• Very low current consumption (20 to 200 µA):
– Icon mode: <25 µA
– Power-down mode: <2 µA.
• Telecom equipment
• Portable instruments
• Point-of-sale terminals.
Philips Semiconductors was acquired by NXP Semiconductors.
NXP Semiconductors, formerly Philips Semiconductors, has fifty years of innovation and a rich IP portfolio that firmly establishes NXP as Europe's second largest semiconductor company.